M Govindaraj is Senior Scientist (Sorghum Breeding), Crop Improvement Theme, Research Program-Asia, at ICRISAT, and is based in Hyderabad, India.
With a PhD from the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), in Plant Breeding and Genetics, Dr Govindaraj works on the development and dissemination of diverse breeding lines and hybrid parents in pearl millet. He also leads the HarvestPlus-supported pearl millet biofortification research and development program at ICRISAT (for both India and West and Central Africa). This program mainly focuses on developing high-iron/zinc pearl millet hybrid parents, and hybrids for high-iron pearl millet cultivar development as well as on strengthening research partnerships in India and West and Central Africa. His team efforts led to the landmark release of a high-iron variety (Dhanashakti), and the first three iron biofortified pearl millet hybrids (ICMH 1202, ICMH 1203 and ICMH 1301) in India.
He has won several awards and among them are the International Scholar Award (2009), given by the International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI), Georgia, USA; and ICRISAT’s Resource Mobilizer Award in 2014 and Promising Young Scientist Award (2016). He has published widely with more than 40 journal articles, an h-index of 12 and citations exceeding 400. Moreover he is on the editorial board of several scientific journals and is also a peer reviewer. He is an active Life Member of the Indian Society for Plant Breeders, Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding, and Society for Millet Research.
Expertise in: Plant genetics and breeding, germplasm enhancement, population genetics and its improvement, heterosis breeding, quantitative genetics and agricultural statistics (designs and analysis), biofortification
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=PwyebskAAAAJ&hl=en (Citations =>400, H index=12)
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mahalingam_Govindaraj
- Efficacy of seed defense proteins in biofortified pearl millet lines against blast and downy mildew
on February 10, 2021 at 8:16 am
- Deciphering the antagonistic effect of Streptomyces spp. and host-plant resistance induction against charcoal rot of sorghum
on February 7, 2021 at 1:19 pm
- Harnessing wild relatives of pearl millet for germplasm enhancement: Challenges and opportunities
on February 7, 2021 at 5:22 am
- Conventional and Molecular Breeding Approaches for Biofortification of Pearl Millet
on January 4, 2021 at 4:46 pm
- Comparative Profiling of Volatile Compounds in Popular South Indian Traditional and Modern Rice Varieties by Gas Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry Analysis
on December 19, 2020 at 4:42 pm