ICRISAT seeks applications for the post of Associate Scientist – Horticulture to provide technical advisory services and team support for the vegetable activities of the APART project in Assam, India. This is a comprehensive development project involving national and international partners funded by the World Bank. The vegetable research and development activities will involve improving the quality and availability of seeds and seedlings, promoting climate resilient production systems and safe and hygienic production. This will be done in close collaboration with Assam government and university partners. This is a nationally recruited position that will work closely with the other WorldVeg projects and will have strong support from the research team at WorldVeg regional headquarters in Hyderabad, India.
WorldVeg is the world’s largest international non-profit research and development center focused on alleviating poverty and malnutrition in developing countries through the increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables. Founded in 1971 with headquarters in Taiwan, the Center’s global work covers East and Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Central Asia. For more information please visit our website: worldveg.org.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more visit www.icrisat.org
- Report and coordinate the activities of a team of six WorldVeg field officers in districts across Assam and ensure good relationships with national and international partners.
- Assist field officers in implementing on-farm demonstrations of improved varieties and seedling production systems, good agricultural practices and integrated pest management in close coordination with WorldVeg researchers, international partners and state institutions.
- Provide technical back-up to field officers to address vegetable farmers’ management problems, and seek additional national and international expertise and inputs where needed.
- Provide the key technical input into training programs to strengthen the capacity of local partners to help vegetable farmers overcome practical management problems and to scale up innovative practices.
- Contribute to writing training materials, technical progress reports and annual reviews and work plans as directed by the Resident Consultant and Project leader in Taiwan.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. in horticulture/agriculture/extension with 5-8 years’ extensive experience working in vegetable and pulses crops.
- Extensive experience in commercial vegetable research and extension work with a good knowledge of improved production management practices.
- Experience working effectively in teams and a proven ability to help improve farmers’ management practices.
- Keen analytical skills and the ability to implement, monitor and evaluate varietal trials and integrated pest management trials.
- Extensive experience in running training programs and developing training materials.
- Significant agricultural research and/or development publication record.
- Excellent communication and computer skills, with fluency in written and spoken English and Assamese and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position and will be initially for two years with the possibility of extension depending on requirement, funding availability, and performance of the incumbent.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 17 September 2020 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three referees who are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”