To reinforce the skills required to enhance leadership and managerial effectiveness of women scientists and professionals, a seven day course was hosted by ICRISAT.
The course included practical sessions on sustaining team performance, managing conflict, and creating alliances to achieve research and business results.
‘It was a very intense and practical training program. One that helps the individual to discover the inner person, learn to value strengths and capacities to positively impact surroundings’ – Agathe Diama, Head-Regional Information – WCA, ICRISAT
Participants were asked to undertake pre-course work which helped them reflect, analyze and acknowledge leadership and managerial gaps in their profession. Thus, during the training, participants were able to address personal leadership challenges.
During the opening, Sharat Kumar, Director Human Resources and Operations, ICRISAT highlighted the importance of this course within the CGIAR system. Dr David Bervingson, Director General, ICRISAT welcomed all participants and recalled how such trainings are aligned with the institute’s capacity development and mentorship program geared at attracting and retaining talented staff.
With 25 participants and 3 facilitators, the course addressed the following modules:
- Leadership and management (definitions, systems, functions and implications of gender).
- Core communication skills.
- Emotional intelligence and sustaining team performance (focus on what it takes for successful team performance).
- Team building activities: each team activity entailed feedback from the team.
- Different types of power to enhance their assertiveness through practical exercises.
- Dealing with conflict.
- Influencing skills – cultivating trust and agreement.
- Peer consultation and networking.
The training was conducted by Dr Maria G Nassuna-Musoke, Lecturer at Makerere University, Uganda, Florence Ambayo, Counseling Psychologist and Behavioral Analyst and Laura Guyer, Senior Organizational Development Specialist.
The AWARD Women’s Leadership and Management Course took place at ICRISAT from 29 October 2017 – 04 November 2017.