ICRISAT seeks applications from dynamic and highly innovated young professionals as Manager – Breeding Network to work with the Rice Breeding Innovations platform team that aims at a globally aligned, modernized, rice breeding one IRRI breeding network ‘community of practice,’ unified by a set of jointly developed standards for making breeding decisions consistent with the demands of regional farmers and other value chain stakeholders.
The candidate will work in close collaboration with the Rice Breeding Innovations team of IRRI and NARES partners across the projects for PAN India for the seamless delivery of research activities. The position is within the Rice Breeding Innovations Platform-South Asia Region. The position is based in IRRI South Asia-Hub, Patancheru in Telangana, and will be report to Scientist-Rice Breeding.
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science, improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers, and protecting rice-growing environments for future generations. For more information, visit www.irri.org
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in the drylands of Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid or dryland tropics is home to over 2 billion people, and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor.
ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these poor people to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agriculture. ICRISAT is headquartered in Hyderabad, Telangana State, in India, with two regional hubs (Nairobi, Kenya and Bamako, Mali) and country offices in Niger, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Ethiopia and Mozambique.
ICRISAT conducts research on six highly nutritious drought-tolerant crops: chickpea, pigeonpea, pearl millet, finger millet, sorghum and groundnut. ICRISAT envisions prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics by reducing poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics through partnership-based international agricultural research for development that embodies Science with a Human Face. For more details, see www.icrisat.org
- Associated in implementation of OneRice Breeding Strategy at NARES level and leading OneIRRI breeding Network towards the smooth implementation of CoPs
- Strengthening NARES partners network across South Asia Region (India, Bangladesh, and Nepal) for developing high yielding varieties for all the ecologies and based on the market segmentation.
- Leading the Seed Exchange process by coordinating with the SHU-IRRI-SA-NARES for the shipments, MTA generations, managing LOAs.
- Multi-location Network coordination towards monitoring, efficient generation of high-quality datasets, data compilation, statistical analysis, and report preparation.
- Associated in capacity building of NARES in innovative breeding strategies, modernization, mechanization, high-throughput phenotyping, etc.
- Coordination with NARES towards new varietal nominations, seed multiplications, and associated with Seed System teams towards varietal release and product positioning.
- Breeding efforts towards managing core breeding activities and participation in project development for strengthening regional breeding program at IRRI SA Hub.
- Managing day-to-day operations related to farm management (sowing to harvesting) and managing human resources (Field Attendants, Research Technicians, and TFLs) for all ongoing projects.
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- M.Sc (Agri) Genetics and Plant Breeding with 8-10 years of experience in the area of breeding trials coordination and streamlining the networks with the NARES.
- Proven research experience in coordination, delivery of strategic plans, and working with network projects.
- Extensive experience in coordinating the research projects with the research team for the in-house research activities and human resource management
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential
- Aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments.
This is a Scientific and Managerial Group (SMG) cadre position for 2 years’ (24 months) renewable depending on the functioning of the incumbent, funding availability, and also the Institute’s ongoing requirement for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 22 April 2021 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three referees who are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”