ICRISAT invites applications from Zimbabwean nationals for the position of Research Technician: Plant Breeding to be based at ICRISAT’s Matopos Research Station near Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Offer technical support to breeders and overseeing all technical aspects for the upkeep of the for sorghum, pearl millet, finger millet, groundnuts, chickpea and pigeonpea breeding programmes
- Assist breeders in all aspects of the breeding programs, including planting, pollinations, harvesting of trials, crossing nurseries and pure seed increases, quality evaluations and data management
- Plan and execute experimental protocols and performance trials in protected culture environments
- Ownership of breeding and harvesting equipment, maintenance and improvements, taking notes, entering data with internal IT systems and complying with seed stewardship standards
- Capture data in iOS operating systems (desktop computing, iPhones, iPads), Breeding Management System (BMS) and conduct data quality check and assurance to enable timely advancement of the 6 mandate crops
- Collaboration with trial growers and selection of optimal off-site localities for yield trials
- Supervise and motivate the labour, capacity building of farmers, students and other collaborators
- Manage relationships with co-operators/partners to ensure timely completion and integrity of data collected
- Procure farm inputs and consumables
- Prepare seed shipments
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture or a related field
- Experience in a research environment, specifically in field layout, data analysis, and good crop husbandry practices
- Sound interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- At least 2 years of experience in a research institution and an understanding of plant breeding
- Candidates with less experience but proven ability to deliver may be considered
- Preferably having experience of working in multi-cultural and interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience in an international organization environment will be an added advantage
- Ability to prioritize and organize work efficiently and independently
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Good interpersonal skills, integrity, honesty and self-motivation
- Computer literacy in MS Office.
- Strong English language skills, both spoken and written
- Ability to work extended hours during peak seasons
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position for one year renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 6 June 2020, with the latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer