ICRISAT Development Center
Aviraj Datta is Scientist, IDC based in Patancheru, India. He joined ICRISAT in May 2014 as Visiting Scientist. He is currently working with the ICRISAT Development Center, Research Program-Asia developing decentralized wastewater treatment technologies to generate revenue through safe utilization of treated wastewater in agriculture. The aim is to abate the harmful and unsafe raw-wastewater irrigation practice prevailing in the semi-arid tropics. The work aims to improve the wastewater management in villages while increasing the water use efficiency.
His B. Tech degree in Biotechnology in combination with his subsequent post-graduate studies in the area of Environmental Engineering has equipped him with the necessary skill-sets to become a bioremediation specialist. With a doctorate in Environmental Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (2014), he works in the broad domain of environmental biotechnology. He is a recipient of GATE and DAAD Fellowships and alumni of the Indo-German Center for Sustainability (IGCS). His PhD thesis was awarded with GE Ecomagination Excellence Award for the best Ph.D. thesis in the area of environmentally friendly technologies, ecological and environment protection for the year 2014, during the 51st Convocation of the IIT Madras.
Prior to ICRISAT he was working as a faculty in the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli, in the Department of Energy and Environment.
Expertise in: Decentralized wastewater treatment; Rural wastewater management; Bioremediation of polluted air/water streams.
- Monitoring the Spread of Water Hyacinth (Pontederia crassipes): Challenges and Future Developments
on April 14, 2021 at 8:46 am
- Constructed wetland for improved wastewater management and increased water use efficiency in resource scarce SAT villages: a case study from Kothapally village, in India
on February 6, 2021 at 4:15 am
- Biodiesel production through algal cultivation in urban wastewater using algal floway
on September 3, 2019 at 10:22 am
- Improving Rural Wastewater Management
on November 21, 2018 at 10:00 am
- Sustainable Development of Fragile Low-rainfall Regions – Power Grid Corporation of India Initiative
on November 21, 2018 at 9:43 am