M Govindaraj is Senior Scientist (Sorghum Breeding), Crop Improvement Theme, Research Program-Asia, at ICRISAT, and is based in Hyderabad, India.
With a PhD from the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), in Plant Breeding and Genetics, Dr Govindaraj works on the development and dissemination of diverse breeding lines and hybrid parents in pearl millet. He also leads the HarvestPlus-supported pearl millet biofortification research and development program at ICRISAT (for both India and West and Central Africa). This program mainly focuses on developing high-iron/zinc pearl millet hybrid parents, and hybrids for high-iron pearl millet cultivar development as well as on strengthening research partnerships in India and West and Central Africa. His team efforts led to the landmark release of a high-iron variety (Dhanashakti), and the first three iron biofortified pearl millet hybrids (ICMH 1202, ICMH 1203 and ICMH 1301) in India.
He has won several awards and among them are the International Scholar Award (2009), given by the International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI), Georgia, USA; and ICRISAT’s Resource Mobilizer Award in 2014 and Promising Young Scientist Award (2016). He has published widely with more than 40 journal articles, an h-index of 12 and citations exceeding 400. Moreover he is on the editorial board of several scientific journals and is also a peer reviewer. He is an active Life Member of the Indian Society for Plant Breeders, Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding, and Society for Millet Research.
Expertise in: Plant genetics and breeding, germplasm enhancement, population genetics and its improvement, heterosis breeding, quantitative genetics and agricultural statistics (designs and analysis), biofortification
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=PwyebskAAAAJ&hl=en (Citations =>400, H index=12)
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mahalingam_Govindaraj
- Identification of Candidate Genes Regulating Drought Tolerance in Pearl Millet
on June 22, 2022 at 8:59 am
- Breeding Drought-Tolerant Pearl Millet Using Conventional and Genomic Approaches: Achievements and Prospects
on May 11, 2022 at 4:46 am
- Insilico analysis of Arabidopsis ferric reductase oxidases (FRO) proteins associated with iron homeostasis
on May 5, 2022 at 11:00 am
- Studies On Spatio-Temporal and Phytohormonal Expression Pattern of MTP2 Protein and its Characterization across Different Plant Species
on March 22, 2022 at 5:56 am
- Exploring plant growth-promoting Streptomyces spp. for yield and nutrition traits in pearl millet hybrids
on February 17, 2022 at 11:01 am