M Govindaraj is Senior Scientist (Sorghum Breeding), Crop Improvement Theme, Research Program-Asia, at ICRISAT, and is based in Hyderabad, India.
With a PhD from the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), in Plant Breeding and Genetics, Dr Govindaraj works on the development and dissemination of diverse breeding lines and hybrid parents in pearl millet. He also leads the HarvestPlus-supported pearl millet biofortification research and development program at ICRISAT (for both India and West and Central Africa). This program mainly focuses on developing high-iron/zinc pearl millet hybrid parents, and hybrids for high-iron pearl millet cultivar development as well as on strengthening research partnerships in India and West and Central Africa. His team efforts led to the landmark release of a high-iron variety (Dhanashakti), and the first three iron biofortified pearl millet hybrids (ICMH 1202, ICMH 1203 and ICMH 1301) in India.
He has won several awards and among them are the International Scholar Award (2009), given by the International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI), Georgia, USA; and ICRISAT’s Resource Mobilizer Award in 2014 and Promising Young Scientist Award (2016). He has published widely with more than 40 journal articles, an h-index of 12 and citations exceeding 400. Moreover he is on the editorial board of several scientific journals and is also a peer reviewer. He is an active Life Member of the Indian Society for Plant Breeders, Indian Society of Genetics and Plant Breeding, and Society for Millet Research.
Expertise in: Plant genetics and breeding, germplasm enhancement, population genetics and its improvement, heterosis breeding, quantitative genetics and agricultural statistics (designs and analysis), biofortification
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=PwyebskAAAAJ&hl=en (Citations =>400, H index=12)
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mahalingam_Govindaraj
- Micronutrient Rich Pearl Millet for Nutritionally Secure India
on September 22, 2021 at 6:01 am
- Transition From Targeted Breeding to Mainstreaming of Biofortification Traits in Crop Improvement Programs
on September 21, 2021 at 6:40 am
- Development of High Yielding Disease Resistant Hybrid in Pearl Millet [Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R.Br.] for Northern Karnataka
on September 16, 2021 at 9:29 am
- Drought and High Temperature Stress in Sorghum: Physiological, Genetic, and Molecular Insights and Breeding Approaches
on September 15, 2021 at 10:13 am
- Development of Sorghum Genotypes for Improved Yield and Resistance to Grain Mold Using Population Breeding Approach
on August 13, 2021 at 4:17 am