Genomics & Trait Discovery
Genetic Gains Program
Santosh P Deshpande is a Senior Scientist (Molecular Breeding) in the Theme – Genomics & Trait Discovery, Research Program-Genetic Gains, at ICRISAT, based in Hyderabad, India.
He has a PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding from VN Marathwada Agricultural University (Parbhani, Maharashtra State), India. Santosh has over 11 years of experience in international agriculture research.
Santosh leads a group of 16 staff (including 6 postdocs) working in genomics and molecular breeding applications in sorghum and finger millet. His extensive experience in development of genetic and genomic resources has led to adoption of these technologies across several partner institutes in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. This group’s active research collaborations with national partners in Sudan resulted in the release of four improved farmer-preferred Striga-resistant cultivars during 2013. Similar collaboration with national partners in India has resulted in the development of cultivars with shoot-fly resistance and post-flowering drought tolerance with stay-green QTLs. He has published more than 11 book chapters and 26 peer reviewed research articles.
Expertise in: Plant genetics and breeding; marker-assisted back-crossing and marker-assisted selection; genomics and molecular breeding applications for trait discovery, especially in sorghum and finger millet
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=1qlH00cAAAAJ&hl=en
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Santosh_Deshpande
- Nitrogen Use Efficiency in Sorghum: Exploring Native Variability for Traits Under Variable N-Regimes
on July 21, 2021 at 4:31 pm
- Sorghum Pan-Genome Explores the Functional Utility for Genomic-Assisted Breeding to Accelerate the Genetic Gain
on June 4, 2021 at 8:19 am
- Validation of shoot fly resistance introgression lines using SNP markers in sorghum
on April 5, 2021 at 5:17 am
- Evaluation of fodder yield and fodder quality in sorghum and its interaction with grain yield under different water availability regimes
on March 9, 2021 at 5:55 am
- Fine-Mapping of Sorghum Stay-Green QTL on Chromosome10 Revealed Genes Associated with Delayed Senescence
on November 13, 2020 at 5:42 am