ICRISAT seeks applications for the post of Technical Officer to conduct vegetable research and extension services to implement its vegetable improvement program with smallholder farmers in Jharkhand. The position will be based at Gumla in Jharkhand, India to work in the JOHAR project funded by the World Bank. This position is open for Indian nationals only.
WorldVeg is the world’s largest international non-profit research and development center focused on alleviating poverty and malnutrition in developing countries through the increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables. Founded in 1971 with headquarters in Taiwan, the Center’s global work covers East and Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Central Asia. For more information, please visit our website: www.worldveg.org
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more information, please visit our website: www.icrisat.org
Role & Responsibilities:
To work under the guidance of the Team leader and Agronomist/Plant Pathologist leading the JOHAR project to implement project activities in the target locations, including;
- Coordinating all project field activities in the assigned district areas
- Provide technical assistance and supervisory support to farming communities engaged in implementing project activities
- Conduct field trials and demonstrations in the designated district areas under the supervision of the Agronomist/Plant pathologist
- Collect data, conduct analyses and maintain records of all project activities undertaken
- Prepare inputs for technical and project reports as requested by the Team leader
- Organize and coordinate trainings for farming communities and local partner agencies
- Assist in the preparation of periodic progress reports, technical papers and presentations for meetings and annual reports as needed for donors, project beneficiaries, and team members
Qualification and Competencies:
- Diploma/Degree in Agriculture/Horticulture with at least 2 years’ working experience in projects related to vegetables.
- Good working knowledge of agriculture especially local vegetable cultivation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and Hindi is important
- Skilled use of various software (MS Word, MS Excel,) and exposure to handling variety evaluation trials
- Energetic and enthusiastic personality with an urge to improve agricultural systems.
- Strong team player and willing to work as part of an extended team comprising several agencies.
It is a Consolidated position for one year, renewable on an annual basis for up to 3 years depending on the incumbent performance and the project’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 11 April 2020 with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”